Sunday, May 6, 2007

Why NOT?

Jon and I disagree frequently about what we need to bring with us on our trip to Burkina. The current argument, in an extensive, ongoing debate, is whether or not we should bring our video camera. Okay, let me preface this argument with the fact that our backpacking trip in Vietnam was what prompted the purchase. A picture is worth...you know, a thousand words...whatever, but a picture cannot capture an accent, a mannerism, a whole experience. In all fairness, video cannot capture everything, not even close to. My point is, we bought the video camera to capture experiences and places that we want to treasure for a long time. I remember wanting to describe the people, villages, mountains, etc. of Vietnam and knowing that if we had video it would take our friends and family that much closer to where we'd been and how it felt. No matter how much we paid for the durn thing, and even if we can only charge it once every blue moon, I think the value of capturing our experience makes up for the expense of the camera. So there! We're taking it. Thanks for helping me reach this reasonable and wise decision.
p.s. I was inspired by this argument to check you tube for PCV video and there was one from Burkina! So I posted the link because it was tres cool.

2 comments:

Lara said...

Heather,

I've seen that You Tube video too! Props for posting the link!

-Lara

Cassandra said...

ya that you tube video rocks. You should post new ones with your camera once we're all there. And let me say I am on your side when it comes to the video camera. This is going to be an experience you will want to remember.