Sunday, October 21, 2007

BUSY BEES

Alas school has begun and the cool season has not. Steadily things are picking up around Piss-town. I am tres hereuse. Leopold has now officially introduced Jon and I to many important people and the school committees, donc, I am all set to begin empowering those girls!

Maintenant, I am in Ouaga for my out-of-site leave and a dr. appt. I have spent the day eating BEAUCOUP. I have also gotten to meet up with some fellow volunteers, which is always good.

Mommy and Daddy, thanks for the "mother package." i can now schedule the heck out of my village life! (which is tres importante what with the Africans being slaves to their sundials). You guys flippin' rock!

It feels like there's not much to recount... I have been reading and sweating a lot. We went to a dinner with the teachers that Jon teaches with and tore up the fanta! I am officially known as "Addo" by the Burkinabe. Whenever I am asked my name, my reply is met with a stare that might closely resemble one you would expect to see if I'd crouched down and did a headstand. The sounds of my name are an enigma that some people can only make out a long grunt of mushed-up syllables. I would resort to being fatimata again, but I am in a cathoic village now with many names like 'Simone' and 'Collette.'

To conclude this post I would like to talk about Anselm. He is our daily visitor and is the most polite, well-spoken and adorable 11 year-old I've known. Whenever he comes over I am immediately cheered up. Anselm can make my day! I am really excited to finally start working with kids! One thing is for sure: the villagers are wonderful.

Well love to all!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Little baby girl,
What a funny little writer you are. Maybe you should think about a book of humor. Your welcome for the "mother package". I tried my best to stuff that baby as full as was humanly possible. Enjoy. There's always more where that came from. I was surprised to see this update on the blog, it's always nice to stumble onto one. I would love to meet your little buddy "A". I love kids too. I'll phone you soon. Daddio.

Heather Ponzer said...

thankyou daddy! can't wait for you to call. i'm feeling MUCH better. i've gotten some much-needed R&R!
i'm all set for halloween now with my ichabod! tell rachel I said hi, too. she left a comment on the last blog. miss everyone SOOOOO much! love you dad!